Please read our competition terms & conditions carefully before submitting your entries to the America Writers’ Awards 2012.
Not sure what format your story, poem or song should be in, or whether you will retain copyright over your work? Need to know the AWA’s definition of ‘unpublished’ to check that you’re eligible? Worry no more! Everything you need to know about entry rules for the America Writers’ Awards and our competition terms & conditions is detailed below.
You can also find out more by reading the judging criteria and our FAQs.
Competition terms & conditions
- The competition is open to all unpublished and self-published writers from across the World who are aged five years and over (see awards categories) on the closing date of the competition.
- Children or employees of America Writers Ltd/America Writers’ Awards Ltd or anyone professionally associated with the America Writers’ Awards may not enter the competition.
- Individuals may submit up to three pieces of work to the America Writers’ Awards 2013 for a one-off admin fee of $20 . However, entry is completely free of charge for entrants who have declared their association to a AWA member school, business or community organization by using that organization’s unique AWA membership number – please read our FAQs for more information about this.
- If, after entering the competition, you choose to withdraw your works, the admin fee will not be refunded. Accidental duplication of payment will be refunded by AWA following submission of both receipts and further investigation by AWA.
- The definition of ‘unpublished’ for the America Writers’ Awards means that you do not have, and have never had, an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) for a publication solely in your name – unless the work was self-published and you are currently not in an agreement with a publisher.
- Writers without an ISBN in their name who have had their work published in a magazine, online or in an anthology are still eligible to enter the competition. Writers who are in an agreement with an agent but do not have a publication in their name are also eligible to enter the competition.
- In the songwriting category, ‘unpublished’ equates to ‘unsigned’ (meaning you are not, and have never been, signed to a record label either as an individual or as part of a group), or that a song that you have written has never been published by any signed artist or record label.
- ‘Unpublished’ and ‘self-published’ spans every category – so a published novelist may not enter the songwriting category, for example, and a ‘signed’ songwriter may not enter the story categories.
- The only exception to the ‘unpublished’ or ‘self-published’ rule is the Published Writer of the Year category. This category only applies to published novels who are under contract with a publishing house and receiving royalties. Entrants in this category are not eligible to win the overall $10,000 prize.
- All entries must be formatted correctly (see judging criteria for details).
- Entries that are incomplete, illegible or corrupted, or that are submitted after the deadline will not be entered into the competition. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.
- Please keep a copy of your work, as it will not be returned.
- You retain copyright of your work but, in submitting your entry, you give permission for the AWA to publicize and promote your work if appropriate.
- You retain copyright of any work that you submit to any program or project of the AWA.
- The AWA will respect your data protection rights and will not share your personal data with any third party without your written permission.
- Winners of the America Writers’ Awards 2013 will be announced at a gala ceremony, on a date to be announced.
- The judges will choose a winner from each category and each winner will receive a trophy. The overall winner will receive $10,000 prize.
- As a condition of entry, shortlisted finalists and winners agree to take part in post-event publicity and to the use of their names, photographs and entries in such publicity.
- Winners’ names and entries will be displayed on the AWA website.
- No correspondence will be entered into. The judges’ decision is final.
- By entering the competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms & conditions.
If you are considering entering your work but still have a few questions, you will probably find the answers on our FAQs about entries page.